Friday, January 13, 2012

Bring It On!

Wizards of the Coast, the makers of Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: The Gathering, announced on January 9th that a 5th edition of the venerable D&D roleplaying game is headed our way. Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition, its official moniker is D&D Next, got some substantial press coverage.

I can't wait!

I started playing playing D&D back in 1985 and I still love it to this day. I even had the pleasure of working on Dungeons & Dragons during my time at Wizards of the Coast from 2000 to 2006. Wizards has stated that they want the participation of fans and I created this blog as place where I can transcribe my thoughts for that process. I'm ready for 5th edition now, tomorrow would be acceptable, but I also don't want it rushed because there are some areas for improvement in 4th edition.

Dungeons & Dragons 4th edition was perfect response to the problems of 3rd edition (technically D&D v3.5 at the time). Make fighters as useful as wizards? Check. Remove the problem of unlimited swordplay but finite wizard spells? Check. Rationalize the planar cosmology? Check. Add key fantasy concepts like the realm of Faerie? Check. Allow more options for building a party of varied character classes (I'm looking at you, Cleric)? Check.

Thank you, Wizards of the Coast, for 3rd edition and 4th edition. Now bring on the D&DNext iteration!

-Aaron

No comments:

Post a Comment